Skip to main content

Restraining Order

Restraining orders can only be requested in domestic violence cases.   A person arrested for a domestic violence related charge will automatically have a condition of his or her bond that will prohibit that person from having contact with the victim(s) or witnesses in the case.  If you are a victim in a domestic violence case filed in Lakewood Municipal Court, you may request a restraining order in addition to the bond condition.  The restraining order will remain in effect until the case is closed, which in most cases, is approximately one year.  A restraining order may be modified upon the filing of a written request with the court.  Once a request is filed, the court will set a hearing date to determine whether the restraining order should be modified.  If you are not involved in a domestic violence case, but you would still like a restraining order, you will need to make a request with the County Court where you live.