12.12 Limitation on Property Taxes
(a) The City Council shall not levy an ad valorem tax on taxable property in the City that provides revenue from such levy in an amount greater than was levied in the preceding year plus seven percent, except as hereafter provided. This limitation on the levy of an annual ad valorem tax on taxable property shall not apply for any purpose to the following:
(1) The payment of securities issued by the City pursuant to the provisions of this Charter if such securities and interest thereon are payable from ad valorem property taxes, and all such securities issued by the City shall be payable pursuant to the terms of issuance;
(2) The payment of any contractual obligation that has been approved by the registered electors of the City; and
(3) In the event the City, as the result of exclusion, dissolution, or as otherwise provided by law, continues to provide the services of a special district or special taxing district, the City Council may levy and collect the ad valorem property tax necessary to continue such services in an amount not to exceed that amount most recently levied by the special district or special taxing district for such services; provided, however, that any subsequent levy by the City pursuant to this subsection (a)(3) shall be subject to the seven percent limitation as provided herein.
(b) In computing the seven percent limitation, the following shall be excluded:
(1) The increased valuation for assessment attributable to annexation or inclusion of additional land, improvements thereon, and personal property connected therewith within the City for the preceding year;
(2) The increased valuation for assessment attributable to new construction and personal property connected therewith within the City for the preceding year; and
(3) The increased valuation for assessment attributable to increased volume of production for the preceding year by a producing mine or petroleum well if said mine or petroleum well is wholly or partially within the City and if such increase in volume of production causes a change in services or an increase in the level of services provided by the City.
(c) The City Council may submit the question of increasing the levy over the seven percent limitation for any one year to a vote of the registered electors of the City at a regular or special municipal election. If a majority of the registered electors voting thereon vote in favor of increasing the levy over the seven percent limitation, then the City Council may increase the levy for the year voted upon by the amount approved by the registered electors.