The City of Lakewood requires residents to obtain annual licenses and current rabies vaccinations for their dogs. All dogs older than four months must be licensed with tags displayed on their collars at all times.
Lakewood Animal Control has information about vaccination clinics, lost and found pets, barking dogs, leash laws, enforcement and education.
Help a dog find its way home by searching the online tag lookup database.
As of July 20, 2013, Foothills Animal Shelter has taken over the administration of the pet licensing program from Jefferson County Animal Control. You can register your dog online, by mail or in person.
•$15 if the dog is spayed or neutered
•$30 if the dog is not spayed or neutered
•$5 replacement tag prior to renewal
•No fee for replacement tag at renewal
Apply in Person
Foothills Animal Shelter has made it easy for you to locate a place to register your dog in person. You can go to one of 49 licensing sites conveniently located throughout the community.
Apply in person at the City of Lakewood
- check or money order (made payable to Foothills Animal Shelter)
- proof of current rabies vaccination
Hours and Location
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
- 480 S. Allison Pkwy, Lakewood, CO map
Benefits of Licensing Your Dog
- You can be contacted immediately if your missing pet is found. In many cases, animal control can even bring your pet directly home.
- Your pet licensing fee helps support Foothills Animal Shelter – where thousands of homeless pets are cared for each year.
- As a responsible pet owner, you avoid receiving a fine for having an unlicensed dog.