Denver once had an extensive electric rail transit system that included over 250 miles of city tracks and 40 miles of high-speed interurban railcars connecting Denver with Golden and Boulder. Thousands of riders used the system to visit downtown Denver and its venues for shopping, going to work and school, seeing friends, and for recreation. Rich in local history, Car No. 25 was built by Denver’s own Woeber Carriage Company and placed into service on February 17, 1911. Car No. 25 was one of seven cars that provided passenger service on the Denver & Intermountain Interurban’s 13-mile Denver-Lakewood-Golden line from 1911 to 1950. With the proliferation of the automobile and a new bus system, rail transit service was abandoned in 1950.Beginning in 1988, the Rocky Mountain Railroad Club Historical Foundation embarked on a 22 year restoration project, involving 500+ donors, and 96 volunteers contributing 24,000 hours toward the restoration of Car No. 25. No. 25 is the last remaining, completely intact, electric railway car that once served the Denver area. As an exquisitely restored piece of history, Car No. 25 is listed on both the State Register of Historic Properties and the National Register of Historic Places. Car No. 25 is currently stored at the Denver Federal Center with limited public access.
Come see the beautifully restored car in person!
If you have accessibility needs, please contact us at least 48 hours in advance so that we can do our best to make the proper accommodations.